I have reported about previous Prosper.com promotions for a while now. Generally, they have been for existing lenders and involve some form of 1-4% “rebate” on manual bids made to “Featured Listings”.
This week however, Prosper.com seems to be taking a cue from LendingClub and is looking to boost new lenders, not just get existing lenders to invest more. This promotion is on top of the still running 4% rebate on Featured Listings. The new promotion is open to new lenders only, here is what you get:
- Invest $20k and get an iPad 2 ($599 value)
- Invest $10k and get a set of Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones ($299 value) – I don’t usually splurge, but these are probably the best headphones I have ever owned.
- Invest $5k and get an iPod Nano ($149 value)
Anyway you slice it, this is basically a “2% to 3% bonus” on your initial funds invested. Assuming you would have bought the items in question anyway.
Important: peer-2-peer lending involves risk and is anything but a “sure thing”. Consider reading all of the following links before investing and be sure to only invest an amount that is appropriate for you:
- Prosper.com Results for 2010 and 2011
- Prosper.com – Good links to read
- Peer 2 Peer Lending Resources
- Can you prosper with Prosper.com?
- Prosper.com Competitors 2011
- Prosper.com raises rates again